Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Don’t Brag


In early December when a friend told me that a cold/flu bug was ravaging San Miguel, I said confidently, I never get sick. It had been at least 10 years, maybe 15, since I had a cold and the last time I remember having the flu I was in college. If I start getting the sniffles, I reach for my trusty oil of oregano, put 10 drops in a glass of water and knock it out before it can take hold.

Christmas day it hit me. It didn’t come on gently, it hit hard. And after years of living here in the perpetual sunshine I didn’t have any of my magic cure. The next morning I headed straight to Moonrise, our local health food store. One dose didn’t knock this out, or two but after a couple of days I felt good enough to join some friends for brunch. But it came back, twice. Finally after almost three weeks I had to admit my immune system wasn’t what it used to be and went to see my doctor, an acupuncturist, alternative medicine and medical doctor from Columbia. He gave me options, herbal medicine, which would take longer or antibiotics. I couldn’t handle longer and opted for the anti-life.

My oldest friend, who is living in London now, called to wish me happy birthday today. She was also down with a cold and had been bragging earlier about how she never gets sick.

She told me, “As soon as those words were out of my mouth I knew I shouldn’t have said that."

Our conclusion, don't brag.

No comments:

Post a Comment